Passport & Medal
What are they & how to optain them?
Worldloppet Passport (WL Passport) Order Form »
Completing of a Worldloppet (WL) race is a remarkable achievement and worth of recording! Worldloppet Passport (WL Passport) is a personal document, in which every completed WL race should be registered. The official WL Passport contains a special page for each event in the Worldloppet series. After completing of a WL race, the skier should ask for the official stamp of this event at the race office. A stamp in the WL Passport is the evidence of the completed race. Collecting of WL stamps is an additional motivation to practice cross-country skiing and to travel to WL countries. Today there are more than 12000 WL passport holders from all over the world.
Everyone can become a Worldloppet Master!
After completing WL races in 10 different countries, at least one of them on another Continent, the skier will be recognised as a Worldloppet Master (WL Master) - WL Gold Master, if completed 10 WL main races (click here to see the list of the valid Worldloppet main races!) and WL Silver Master, if completed 10 WL short (click here to see the list of the valid Worldloppet short races!) races (possible to combine with main races). To apply for the title of a WL Master, WL Passport should be mailed to the WL General Secretariat, where the validity of all stamps will be checked, based on the result lists of the marked races. In order to be included in the current year's WL Masters' list, WL Passport should reach WL General Secretariat before April 1. WL Master diploma and a gold/silver-plated pin will be mailed to this WL Master and his/her name will be published in the WL Ski Race Yearbook. In addition, each WL Master has an opportunity to order a personal WL gold/silver-plated medal, by mailing the order form together with € 40.- to the WL General Secretariat.
How to buy a Worldloppet Passport?
The price of a WL Passport is € 30.-and Passports are available in every WL race office in 15 countries and in WL General Secretariat. WL Passport can also be ordered by e-mail or mail and paid either in cash, by Credit Card.
How to order Worldloppet Diploma and Master Medal?
|The following is an instruction for the skiers, who have completed at least 10 different Worldloppet races and would like to apply for a Worldloppet Master title. What to do next?
1. Check for yourself, if you have fulfilled all the criteria to apply for the title of Worldloppet Gold Master or Worldloppet Silver Master.
2. Check for yourself, if your Worldloppet Passport contains all the necessary stamps and data about every completed WL race (year, finish time and place in the final ranking). The validity of the stamps in your WL Passport will be checked in the Worldloppet General Secretariat, based on the result lists of the marked races.
- If any data is missing, try to find out and add as much information as possible (year, finish time, place, in the final ranking) directly to your WL passport or in a letter separately. This will make the whole procedure quicker and simpler both for WL General Secretariat and for yourself.
- Even if everything is OK about 9 races, but there is only a stamp in your WL Passport and no additional information indicated about 1 race (especially the year when you completed the race), your WL Passport will be returned to you for providing additional information.
- WL Passport can be stamped retrospectively back to 1979 in the WL General Secretariat, but only if the skier provides a concrete basis for research (year and finish time or place in the final ranking). The result lists from 1980-s and usually do not contain alphabetical order and it is nearly impossible to find a finish time among 13 000 results, if the only information is a name.
- The stamps of WL member races are valid from the next year when the race was admitted to Worldloppet, but stamps of Worldloppet short races are valid since 1994/1995 season only. For the Worldloppet Master title stamps of the WL main races are valid since the following years:
1979: Dolomitenlauf, Marcialonga, König Ludwig Lauf, Keskinada Loppet, American Birkebeiner, Finlandia hiihto, Vasaloppet, Engadin Skimarathon, Birkebeinerrennet
1981: La Transjurassienne
1986: Sapporo International Ski Marathon
1991: Kangaroo Hoppet
1995: Tartu Maraton
2000: Jizerska padesatka
2009: Bieg Piastov
3. Decide if you would like to order a personal WL Master Medal in addition to the other awards before sending your WL Passport to WL General Secretariat.
- Every WL Master will be awarded with the following awards free of charge:
1) personal Worldloppet Master Diploma (wearing personal WL Master number, name and date of issue);
2) personal Worldloppet gold/silver-plated pin.
- In addition, each WL Master has an opportunity to order a personal WL gold/silver-plated medal (wearing personal WL master number). The Worldloppet Master Medal costs € 40.- (either in cash or by Credit Card).
- If you decide to order a personal WL Master Medal, fill in a special form either in your WL Passport, in the Worldloppet Ski Race Yearbook 2009 or on Worldloppet web-site in Internet (Worldloppet Master Medal Order Form) or just write a letter.
- Your personal WL Master Medal will be mailed to you (together with your WL Passport and awards) only after WL General Secretariat has received € 40.- (either in cash, by Credit Card or bank cheque).
- You may order your personal WL Master Medal also later, separately from the other awards.
4. Mail your WL Passport to WL General Secretariat for checking the validity of the stamps. If you decide to order a personal WL Master Medal, mail your order form or a letter together with the WL passport and indicate the method of payment.
5. Depending on the season, it will take 2-8 weeks to check the validity of the stamps from the moment your WL Passport has reached to WL general Secretariat.
6. If the stamps are correct, you will be accredited as a WL Master and your WL Passport together with all the awards will be mailed to you free of charge. In case of missing data or invalid stamps, your WL Passport will be returned to you together with a letter of explanation.
7. After becoming a WL master, your name will be published in the next Worldloppet Ski Race Yearbook. To be included in current year's WL Masters' list, your WL Passport should reach to WL General Secretariat before 1 April.
8. After becoming a WL Master your former WL Passport will lose its validity. None of the registered races in that particular WL Passport may be transferred to your next WL Passport neither be considered for your next WL Master title. If you have decided to become a multiple WL Master, everything must start from the beginning.
- Neither WL General Secretariat nor WL races are responsible for WL Passports, lost in the mailing process. Registered mail instead of ordinary mail is strongly recommended for sending Worldloppet Passports to WL General Secretariat or to WL race offices.
- It is possible to pay for your WL Passport and/or Master Medal in cash or by Credit Card to Worldloppet to WL General Secretariat. Respective Order Forms are available in Worldloppet Ski Race Yearbook and on Worldloppet web-site in Internet
- WL Passport is stamped retrospectively only if the skier sends punctual information about every completed race (year of participation, ranking or finish time).
Answers to the questions that skiers ask most frequently
Where and how can I buy a Worldloppet Passport? WL Passports are available in every WL member race's office in 15 countries. The price of a WL Passport may vary in different countries. The cheapest way is always to pay in cash or by Credit Card (for example from the race office during the race), because then you do not have to pay the expensive bank fees. In Marcialonga Office (WL General Secretariat location) the price is € 30.- and the passport can be ordered by mail, paid either in cash or by Credit Card. Fill in a WL Passport order form on the Worldloppet web site or in the middle of the current yearbook and send it to WL General Secretariat. If you add cash, send the order buy registered mail.
What are the rules for becoming a WL Master? How long may it take and how long is my WL Passport valid? There are two kinds of WL Master titles. For becoming a WL Gold Master at least 10 WL main races and for becoming a WL Silver Master at least 10 WL short races (or combined main and short races) in 10 different countries have to be completed. In both cases at least one of these 10 races has to be completed on the other continent. Finishing one and the same race several times (for example 9 x Vasaloppet + Kangaroo Hoppet) does not count. There is no time limit set how quickly one has to become a WL Master. It may take 1-2 years or 20 or more years - your WL Passport is valid until you have been recognised as a WL Master, only then the passport loses its validity.
Sometimes races are shortened or cancelled or I did not complete the race- can I still get a stamp? If a race is shortened it will be still valid for a WL stamp. If a race is cancelled - no stamp. The rule is that a skier will get a stamp only if he/she completed the race and the result is registered in the official result list. If you participated but did not complete - no stamp. If a friend skied under your name - neither of you will get a stamp, because according to race rules the result is disqualification. In those cases even if you managed to get a stamp on race location, the validity of each stamp will be rechecked in WL General Secretariat according to printed result lists, when you apply for a WL Master title.
Where and when can I get a stamp after completing a race? Can I get a stamp retrospectively? It is highly recommended to take a stamp to the WL Passport immediately after finishing the race. Passports usually stamped in finish locations or race offices. Only a stamp in the passport is not enough - race date, distance, time and place have to be filled in also, because according to this information the validity of the stamp will be rechecked in WL General Secretariat. It is possible to stamp WL Passport retrospectively in WL General Secretariat, but only if the skier sends punctual information about every completed race (race name, year of participation, distance, ranking or finish time). The stamps of WL member races are valid from the next year after admission of the race to Worldloppet, but stamps of WL short races are valid since 1994/1995 season only. Some skiers send blank WL Passport and a list with completed WL races to WL General Secretariat and apply for a WL Master. This kind of behaviour is not appreciated, because hundreds of WL Passports are sent to WL general Secretariat in high season and rechecking of each and every result takes lots of time. Blank passports are checked in the last order. WL General Secretariat considers even establishing a fee for each retrospective stamp in the future.
What to do when I have lost my WL Passport? You have to inform WL General Secretariat about it, buy a new WL Passport and stamp it retrospectively.
I have completed 10 WL races. How can I be recognised as a WL Master? To apply for the title of a WL Master, WL Passport should be sent by registered mail to the WL General Secretariat, where the validity of all stamps will be rechecked, based on the result lists of the marked races. In order to be included in the current year's WL Masters' list, WL Passport should reach WL General Secretariat before April 1. WL Master diploma, gold/silver-plated pin and an emblem will be mailed to this WL Master and his/her name will be published in the WL Ski Race Yearbook free of charge. In addition, each WL Master has an opportunity to order a personal WL gold/silver-plated medal, by mailing the order form together with € 40.- to the WL General Secretariat. WL Medal will be sent only on request and after receiving of the full amount (40 €) in advance. WL Medal can be ordered retrospectively.
Since August 1, 2003 there are new prices for WL Passports and emblems. The price of a WL Passport is € 30.- and the price of a WL logo emblem and WL Master emblem is € 10.-.
Next race approaching